Anyone tried Laird RM1XX modules?

@Charles Iā€™ll be patient until you gave the signal :wink: We have also to wait for the RM-module.
Are 1206 components to big for your layout???

Ok guys, version 1.0a is out no more copper on mounting holes, and also added via for ground plane under RM1xx module

I updated all links and pictures in this post and on github of course

PCBs.io also

@ursm
yeah 1206 will be difficult and more than this, Iā€™m storing already 0603 and 0805 basic so Iā€™ve got some duplicate components and having now in 1206 will need me another version which makes me 3 versions for each comps (but I already thought about this)

But 0805 are not so difficult to solder :wink:

2 Likes

1 Like

Does anyone know how much code space there is on the RM186? For the life of me I cannot see this information on their website. Apologies if itā€™s right thereā€¦been a long week.

you can program this module with a language they call ā€˜smartBASICā€™

yeah,

smartBasic :open_mouth:

This is a strange choice as today we have such LUA or small pyhton open source engine but I think we could deal with it :wink:

Prepare to have fun converting sensors libraries to SmartBasic !!!

1 Like

As expectedā€¦my 29th July shipping date is ā€œpendingā€ :triumph:

1 Like

I contacted Mouser earlier today. They will get back to me with an update on this parts shipping asap.

2 Likes

I already have the developer kit and actually working on a blog post. Itā€™s a good piece of kit. No problem connecting to Things Network (used OTAA) though I canā€™t use the ā€œlora checkā€ function and message ACKs donā€™t return RSSI/SNR as reported probably because of the know differences in how ACK is working in TTN.

Everything else seems to work fine so far.
I already used smartBASIC in the past for their BLE modules so that wasnā€™t an issue. Even if youā€™re new to it the included terminal/compiler package is easy to use and works on macOS, windows, and linux

If you have any questions let me know and Iā€™ll try to address them here or on the post.
I havenā€™t connected sensors directly to it as Iā€™m focusing on the BLE to LoRa side. By the way keep in mind the BLE stack provided is Central side only, so itā€™ll only talk to peripherals.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Whatā€™s your experience with pcbs.io?

Hiā€¦can you quantify how much code space is availableā€¦ We would need to add some code in order to calibrate our sensors and donā€™t want to run out of space.

@stuartlea
I donā€™t have any Laird module in hands. I have no idea of space left after programming, and I didnā€™t found any information on module Flash size and RAM size. Would be interesting to know.

thatā€™s a question for jmarcelino :wink:

@ Charles, yes your WeMos Gateways looks pretty !

Hi Stuart,

Thereā€™s 30KB (30720 bytes) available for code.

For example the temperature sensor example code provided by Laird below takes up 394 bytes of that once compiled and loaded

(purely reading sensor, example doesnā€™t connect to LoRa or BLE)

Ouch !!! Thatā€™s taken a bit of the shine off the latest wonder chip. I was going to get worried if it was less than 64k but 30k is a shocker.

I think that depends on the quality of the compiler :wink:

(and the optimised sensor librarys they make available :innocent: )

Sureā€¦but with the bandwidth being sooooo low we need to be very smart in the way in which we make use of itā€¦especially since our site survey seem to suggest that 980bps will be the best we can get out of our link. Oh well, itā€™s a challenge - would be boring if youā€™d said 1MB !

:laughing:

Hi from Laird :slight_smile:
If you have any questions or comments Iā€™ll be sure to help out if I can.

4 Likes

Hi and thank you !

( Laird devkits with a nice ā€˜TTN clubā€™ discount :wink: , thatā€™s a win / win )